This blog is designed to be a place where I can share my thoughts, ideas and the things I like in regards to teaching Fine Arts. I am not exactly an artistic person, but I do my best to try new things and be creative. And really, what more can one ask of oneself?
Sunday, October 6, 2013
Artists, the classroom and me.
I have never been to a 4Cats Arts Studio, but from how the literature I picked up from their Prince George location describes their sessions, their approach to kid's art sounds awesome. Each session is dedicated to the study of specific artist's history and work, with the students participating in age-appropriate art activities in the style and spirit of the artist. From their website: "4Cats kids create imaginative works using professional quality art
materials. Kids get to work in a variety of mediums, taking inspiration
from the works of famous artists. If we are studying Andy Warhol, we
silk screen and make ink blot paintings. If we are studying Picasso, we
create acrylic on canvas cubist paintings and ceramics, if we are
studying Frida Kahlo, we make paper-mache and paint acrylic on canvas
self-portraits.You get the picture!"
Taken without malice from http://www.4cats.com/
That whole approach sounds like something that I think would be really useful in the classroom. Making connections between real people and art, as well as between art and real life. My only concern is that I might not have enough art talent or knowledge to do these famous artisans justice. I mean, I can look up their information and styles on the internet or in resource books, but even then I am just parroting what others have said about them. Now, before you say anything, I know that one does not have to be good at art in school. All that matters is that you try. And I am totally on board with that considering my own less-than-impressive art skills.But I feel that I might lack the enthusiasm that is required to really make this click with the students.
One of my cooperating teachers told me how last year her class had a visiting artist who came by once a week to do focused projects with the students and I though that that was a great idea. A specialist who knows the specifics about the artists, their styles and great kid-friendly ways of introducing them to the students. And I wish that there were more specialists like that in all of the schools every year. Many schools have music teachers, why not art teachers?
Maybe I am just putting too much thought into this. I know that it is not necessary to go into great detail about artists with visual arts. I can make connections to other things like culture and society, and I can show them my attempts at a few different art styles. But what if there is that one kid whose whole life would be changed by knowing that other people have seen things the way they do? One students whose world would be that much better if they knew that there is art out there (that I as a teacher don't know about) from the same point of view that they see the world from? I know that no one can know everything, but this thought is nagging upon me.
Bah, too much negativity towards the end. Time to lighten things up. Take it away Chris!
No comments:
Post a Comment